Saturday, October 18, 2014

Live Like You Were Dying

I know it sounds super cliche and makes you want to sing along with Tim McGraw - but let's talk about it for real.

I've been thinking a LOT about this concept lately.  This whole live like you were dying thing. When I run, I always listen to some sort of personal development you tube video.  I've always been one to multitask so I figured I can kill two birds with one stone.  Instead of watching tv or listening to music, I run and listen to someone who can motivate me and teach me things.  It's done wonders for me so far personally. But that's a whole different topic....

A few talks I've listened to lately have really got me thinking more about doing the things we enjoy in life.  Working at a job that we don't hate.  Spending time with the people that matter.  Worrying less about what people think of me, and using that energy to be true to myself and to be authentic.

I'm sure a lot of you have seen some of these posted lately - but what really intrigues me is hearing about the biggest regrets of those who are dying.



* I wish I would have pursued my dreams.  I already say this sometimes.  I wish I would have done a study abroad trip while I was in college.  I wish I would have moved somewhere else in the country for school to get a change of scenery.  But I really don't want to wake up in 40 years and look back and think "why didn't I just go for it?"  This is why I've decided to pursue Beachbody coaching.  It's my dream to own my own business, to be able to work from home and be with my kids, to be my own boss, and to help other people as my mission.

* I wish I wouldn't have worked so hard and made more time for my family.  When I was working at an assisted living home in college - I was shocked to see how many people were in there that had very little (or no) visitors.  No family that came by.  They were alone.  We can work our tails off, and let our work run our lives.  But I can tell you what - I don't care what you do or how important you are - that job will not be there when you're 80.  But your family sure can be. Don't forget that.  One thing you'll never be able to get back is TIME.  I doubt anyone on their death bed looks back and thinks "oh, I really wish I would have just worked a little more and spent less time with my family."

* I should have made more time for my friends.  This one is really hard for me because I haven't done a good job with this one at all since having kids.  I've turned into a real home-body and I don't do much with friends.  I feel like I have friends in so many difference stages of life, and they are all over the state....it just gets hard for me.  I always make sure to keep in contact and to let them know I'm here - but I need to do a better job making the effort to spend time with them and get out of my little bubble at home.  So to all my friends reading this - I LOVE YOU - and I'm sorry that I haven't spent more time with you over the past few years!

* I should have said "I love you" more.  This is something that I think is so important.  I know people who are adults who have only heard their parents say I love you a few times in their lives.  As a mother, I'm not sure how that is even possible.  But I make sure to tell my family I love them approximately 8,400 times a day.

* I wish I would have had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected from me.  I totally used to live the life others expected of me.  I made decisions and chose jobs based on what I believed other people wanted me to do.  I always wanted to make everyone so proud of me. Somewhere along the way, or maybe the whole time, I lost myself a little more and more along the way.  Until I got to a point where I had no clue what I wanted to do with my life.  Thankfully I met the most amazing man in the world, married him, became a Mom, quit my corporate job, started to pursue my own business opportunity, and am FINALLY at a place where I am comfortable and where I know who I AM.  I used to hate the dreaded question "So what do you do?"  I would have to answer with "I'm a tax accountant.  Or I'm a financial analyst"  Every time I would answer, my insides hurt because I felt like a fraud.  I wanted to say "this is what I do - but I have no idea why because it's not what I want to do AT ALL."  Now I know who I am. I'm a wife, a mother, a daughter.a sister, a friend, a Beachbody coach, and a girl with a huge passion for health and fitness. Those are all things I'm comfortable with.  I don't have to be a professional in the corporate world anymore to feel worth.

We should all live like we are dying - because the reality is - WE ARE. We don't know when, but it will eventually happen.  When you look back at your life - what do you really want to see? Make time for the things that matter to you.  Make time for the things you're passionate about.

Two of the people in my life that give me all the worth I'll ever need.
Even though it doesn't seem fun to wake up at 5 am on a Saturday - I make time for it because I love to work out and it is my personal therapy.  I love being healthy and active and it makes me a better person.  It helps me to be a better wife and a better Mom. We all have the same hours in a day - and we can always make time to do the things that are important to us.  Always!