Sunday, October 26, 2014

Surround Yourself With The Dreamers

"Surround yourself with the dreamers and the doers, the believers and thinkers.  But most of all, surround yourself with those who see greatness within you, even when you don't see it yourself." - Edmund Lee

I remember when I was in high school - I sat by someone in a class who the teacher didn't think was the best student. I don't remember why, but at one point I got pulled out in the hallway and the teacher told me that I should watch who I spend my time with.  I remember feeling really angry, I guess so angry that I haven't forgotten to this day.  I didn't understand how someone could be so judgmental. Just because someone wasn't a perfect student doesn't mean that I shouldn't be friends with them.

As I've gotten older, I've realized more and more what that teacher was telling me. It's these kinds of things that you just can't understand until you're older and have went through so many experiences on your own.

I've learned that you start to become like the people that you're spending your time with.  I spend most of my time with a 1 and a 3 year old, so this could get interesting for me...but, I digress.

Simple things I've learned:

  • Even when you can't see it or don't want it to happen, you WILL pick up traits from the people that you're spending your time with.  Jim Rohn says that you become the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with.
  • I want people in my life that lift me up, that challenge me, that hold me accountable when I make mistakes, that I can trust, and that I can just talk to and be myself with - without worrying if they will like what I have to say.
  • I want people around me who I can share my struggles with - without them being annoyed.
  • I want people around me that I can share my joy and success with - without them acting jealous.
  • Being surrounded by negativity and complaining will also make you feel negative.  It's kind of like gossip.  You can vow to yourself that you're never going to gossip again, but the next time you're in a group of people - talking about someone else, you join in and completely forget that vow.  
  • Surrounding myself with others who dream big, stop making excuses, hold themselves accountable, love to spread positive energy throughout the world - has CHANGED my life. Since becoming a Beachbody coach, I've met SO many wonderful people who I can now call friends.  I'm inspired, challenged, and lifted up EVERY day by these people.  Being a coach has given me the confidence to be able to put myself out there to try to be a positive inspiration for others as well.  
Who do you spend most of your time with?
Do they lift you up or bring you down?
Do you feel good after being with them?
Do they support your dreams?
Do you have the same core values?
Do they see the greatness in you?