Saturday, November 1, 2014

Turbo Fire Chili

For anyone who knows me - you'll probably be shocked that I would even make something like this, let alone eat it.  But for some reason my tastes have completely changed in the last year and I'm not scared to eat most veggies anymore.  I think my body craves the good stuff now.  Soooo - today I made Turbo Fire Chili and thankfully it was super easy because I am no Rachel Ray, let's be honest.

The mess alone of making stuff is enough for me to handle.  But - I need to step out of my comfort zone to try new things and make delicious meals for my family.  I think I'll stick with the simple crock pot recipes for today though. :)  So here's what you do!

What you need:

  • 1 lb lean ground turkey
  • 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
  • 8 oz whole kernel corn
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 8 oz black beans, rinsed
  • 8 oz pinto, chili or kidney beans, rinsed
  • 1 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 package chili seasoning
  • 4 oz low-fat shredded cheddar cheese (optional) - I usually will use cheese only if I have room for the calories that day


How to get it done:
  • brown the turkey 
  • drain and discard any fat
  • placed all ingredients (except cheese) into a slow cooker
  • cook for 4 hours on low or 2 hours on high
  • top with 1 oz cheese, if desired

Vegetarian?  All you will need to do is substitute the turkey for extra beans. You can also add corn, red peppers, mushrooms.... 

Makes 4 servings.  Nutritional information per serving (with 1 oz low fat cheese)

Calories: 386 * Protein: 36 g * Carbs: 33 g * Total Fat: 13 g * Fiber: 8.5 g