Monday, August 11, 2014

I Heart Costco

My little girls will tell you what our favorite store is without even having to think about it.  Costco, hello?? I never knew much about Costco before I met Chad but he was always pretty in love with the place.  They have everything and you save money on pretty much everything you buy - what's not to love?  It's definitely not worth it if you're going to waste anything that you get - but with the size of our family and the amount of food we eat - it always works out perfect and we are never wasting. 



I wanted to share some of the normal stuff we get at Costco.  I have found that if I get some of these items at the regular store - I'm heading back there way too often and spending a lot more $$!

Since we normally eat most meals at home and don't really go out to eat much at all, and since me and the girls are home mostly every day - that adds up to a lot of meals (and dishwasher runs!)


Look at this heavenly load we just picked up.  I'll share what's in the pic and then add some other regular items that we get and love as well.

1. Fresh strawberries and raspberries. They are always great quality - you get a ton and the price is great! 
2. Huge ginormous bag of red delicious apples (my fav!).  Do you know how expensive these things are at the grocery store? 
3. Unsweetened Silk Almond Milk (only 35 cals in 1 cup - yes please). You get 3 in a pack.
4. Hummus - individually packed and 60 calories each.  I find if I buy the individually packed ones, it's so much easier to contain myself and my portions.  If we get the big tub, it's way too easy to just keep dipping. Next thing you know you have a stomach ache.
5. Big ole pile of Mushrooms.  These are the husbands of course - I don't touch fungus.
6. All Natural Peanut Butter.  Just peanuts and sea salt - I like that...nothing additional.  You get two in a pack.  After you open it you should stir and refrigerate - since it's only peanuts and salt - the oil can separate from the peanuts.  It's delicious! 
7.  Egg whites - my go-to breakfast.  Sure, I could crack eggs and separate the whites out and waste the yolk - or find a better use for the yolk.  Or I could save myself some time and pour some out from one of these babies and call it good. 
8. Fage fruyo greek yogurt.  We usually get vanilla.  Even though I know we should get plain - it's too hard to get my kids to like plain it so we stick with this one for now because they love it so much.
9. Kashi Cinnamon Harvest cereal.  There are so many bad cereals out there that I just can't buy anymore - but these ones are actually pretty good.  Cereal at Costco is SO MUCH cheaper than at the grocery store.  Check it out!

Some other items we get there pretty regularly....
* turkey burgers * bananas * kale salad mix * chicken breasts * veggie straws * whole wheat pasta * extra virgin olive oil * almonds * walnuts * pistachios * animal crackers (they are like crack though - don't even try to eat just one and just save them for the kids) * toilet paper * Kleenex * dishwasher cleaning tabs * baby wipes * pull-ups * laundry soap * ziplock bags * frozen fruit * blocks of cheese (that we grade when needed) * Go Go Squeeze Applesauce

If you're looking to do some good meal planning - I'd definitely recommend you to at least try Costco for some of the items you need.  It saves me so much time and money - who doesn't enjoy that? :)