Saturday, April 30, 2016

30 Days DONE!

It honestly seems like I just wrote my blog post about how I was going to be following the Whole30 program.

One thing about me - when I set my mind to something, there's not a lot that is going to stop me. Especially if I tell other people that I'm doing it. So I started April 1st with a plan that I was going to follow the Whole30 plan to a T and the only thing I would do "off-plan" was that I would drink my Shakeology every single day because I'm never giving that up.

You can read this post to see why I chose to do it - but I want to talk a little bit about my experience through the last 30 days and why I loved it.

I did NOT do this nutrition plan for weight loss. I don't care to lose weight. All I care about is optimal health. I love to work out and I love getting stronger. And I think trying different things out with nutrition is not only fun, but is good for you. Your body likes when you switch things up.

Having no dairy was pretty simple for me since I usually stay away from that anyway. When I first gave dairy up a while ago, it was harder because I love greek yogurt, cheese, and ice cream. :) But I learned through experimenting that my body does NOT like dairy and my gut despises it. So why feed my body something it cannot stand? I feel lethargic, bloated, and very uncomfortable whenever I eat it. Does that suck? Yes - but it's not the end of the world. I will have the occasional cheese or ice cream treat...seldomly. I'll enjoy it and then regret it very soon after :)

Having no grains, legumes, sugar or peanut butter was the hardest part at first. But honestly the longer you go without sugar, the less you crave it. I can't even tell you the last time I craved chocolate now. I have had the occasional craving for a salty, crunchy snack - but that's usually on the days that I got busy and didn't eat a meal or regular snack soon enough.

I can't even explain how good I feel. I would definitely recommend others to try it!!

What's next? How will I continue on now?

I'll continue on with a paleo nutrition plan with some small exceptions. I'll definitely stay away from dairy still. I will plan to add back in my oats for breakfast sometimes though. I missed my oatmeal! And I'll have the occasional whole grain from time to time. But I will limit it because I know I feel better when I do.

I'm 6 weeks in with no alcohol and I have 2 weeks to go. I committed to no alcohol for the duration of my 8 week fitness program I'm doing now. That has been a huge part of how great I feel right now too - for sure!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thinking about doing the Whole30? Here are some great resources that talks more about it and why you might want to try it...

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2014/03/whole30-interview-melissa-hartwig.html

http://meljoulwan.com/2013/12/27/30-reasons-whole30-2/

http://dailyburn.com/life/health/whole-30-diet-book/


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Before I started - I purchased these two books and I highly recommend them! If you are suffering from autoimmune symptoms / disorders, this is definitely worth a read.


I got mine from amazon and here are the links for you!



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Feel free to follow me on Pinterest to see other recipes for Paleo / Whole30!




If you'd like to chat more about it - I would LOVE to chat with you. Email me or message me on facebook!!