Thursday, April 9, 2015

Working Out Every Day

I feel like this is something that really needs to be addressed. I know following me or seeing my posts via social media - I can come across as a huge workout freak. Someone who believes that you need to work out every day to keep your figure and to be healthy.

I do not believe this. At all.

Ok, now that I got that off my chest. I want to talk about this a little bit so I can give you all the real reasons why I do what I do - and why I don't feel it is excessive, for me. There will be no fancy pictures in this one - just words because I have a lot to say.

When I have someone that comes to me looking for a new program to reach whatever goals they have - I do not tell them that they have to work out every single day if they want to see any results. We go over what their goals are and then find a program that might work best for them, their interests, and their lifestyle. How intense you want to go depends on how fast you want to reach your goals.

Some programs have 1 scheduled rest day, some have 2 and some have none. It all depends on the program.

The program that most people decide on lately is the 21 Day Fix...it's just amazing and I believe in it so much. This program has a workout for every day of the week. But two of the days are active recovery days - one is Pilates and one is Yoga. This program is to get really, really good results in 3 weeks (or in 6 if you decide to do another round as many people do). So it's pretty strict in the workout days because its only a 3 week program. It's not like it's a 90 day program asking you to work out every single day.

With that being said - why in the world do I work out almost every day consistently?

Because I want to.

I don't work out because I'm scared of gaining weight. I don't work out every day because I think one day off is going to ruin my progress. I don't work out every day because I think that's necessary to be healthy.

I do it because it's something that I truly enjoy. This time set aside for me is like complete therapy for me. Depression and anxiety are very real. This helps me with that. Working out has become a passion of mine and I don't think spending at least 30 minutes a day doing something you're passionate about is crazy. Just because some people might think it seems like torture, doesnt mean that it is for everyone. Do I want to wake up every single morning and push myself? Of course not. But I know how different my day can be if I decide to skip the workout. My emotional state is incredibly different when I'm able to work out.  This is a huge reason why I do it first thing in the morning. It sets a great tone for my day - to wake up and sweat and get those endorphins pumping. It's my one time of the day that is set aside for just me. Time to take care of myself so that I can be the best Mom and Wife that I can be.

I also believe in the power of consistency. When we make small, consistent choices over a long period of time - HUGE changes can be made. 30 minutes of working out a day isn't crazy. It's not like I'm running for hours and pumping iron in the gym for another hour. It's 30 minutes. One short tv sitcom length. But over time....over the last 9 months - I've been able to completely change my body, build a ton of muscle, and get myself healthier than I could have imagined. And I'm happy and confident. My girls can see that their Mom is healthy and strong and confident - and I can show them by example what that means. That it's not about being super model skinny, or wearing the nicest clothes - it's about loving yourself enough to take care of yourself. To do it because you want to have energy and you want to feel good!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To answer a lot of the common things I hear....

*I don't have that kind of time to work out that much. My answer to that is - that's completely fine if you choose to do different things that you enjoy more with the time you have. But we all have the same amount of time in a day and we choose to fill it with the things that are a priority in our lives. It could be family, work, school, going out having fun, watching mindless tv, scrolling facebook, reading - whatever it is that you enjoy doing with the time you have been given. I find 30 minutes in my day by waking up extra early to get that time in for myself. I dont take that time away from my family and I don't only get to do it because I'm a stay at home Mom. I wake up between 4:30-5:00 am every day. That's how I find the time.

*I don't think it's necessary to exercise every day. My answer to that is - neither do I. It all depends on your goals and how much you like doing it. I don't expect anyone to want to work out every day like I do. I think it's just important to be mindful and to keep moving. If 3-5 times a week works better for you long term - then great! That is 3-5 more times than ZERO. I am always about progress and doing the very best that you can so that you can be as healthy as you deserve to be.

*I want to do something that can be sustainable and not just be a quick fix where I get burned out. My answer to this is - just because you start out with a program that might be a little more intense, the good part about it is that it jumps starts your journey. You can get into really good shape, and I teach people how to create healthy habits that they can continue on with well past their first program and challenge group. How to eat real food. How to properly fuel their bodies for healthy living. I don't believe in crazy fad diets. I believe it takes conscious choices and if you want real change, you have to make real changes. I don't diet and I will not diet. I eat a lot of food - but it's all real, whole food and it's what my body needs. I'm healthier than I've ever been in my life. I think the proof is in the pudding.

And seriously - at least 70% of any results we really want comes from what we put in our mouths. Nutrition is key and until we get that in check and are eating properly - we can all work out several times a day, every day and see little change. 

This is why I'm so passionate about nutrition and helping people to learn to make clean eating a lifestyle so that they can live healthier, more meaningful lives!

Ok - I feel better now. Thanks for reading. I'm going to go work out now. (just kidding). :)